16/01/2013

Book Review | Moranthology by Caitlin Moran

Title: Beautiful Creatures
Author: Caitlin Moran
Release Date: September 13th 2012
Publisher: Ebury Press
Genre: Humor, Non Fiction
Pages: 354
Find on goodreads

Summary

"In How To Be a Woman, I was limited to a single topic: women. Their hair, their shoes and their crushes on Aslan from The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe (which I KNOW to be universal).

‘However! In my new book Moranthology – as the title suggests – I am set free to tackle THE REST OF THE WORLD: Ghostbusters, Twitter, caffeine, panic attacks, Michael Jackson’s memorial service, being a middle-class marijuana addict, Doctor Who, binge-drinking, Downton Abbey, pandas, my own tragically early death, and my repeated failure to get anyone to adopt the nickname I have chosen for myself: ‘Puffin’."



My Thoughts
I knew instantly I'd love this book after reading Caitlin's marvel that was 'How to be a Woman'  last year. This woman is nothing short of HILARIOUS. Honestly I was laughing the whole way through this book! For those not familiar with Caitlin Moran she is a journalist and columnist for the Times newspaper in the UK, and this book which is so aptly named, is an anthology of her best columns from the past few years. (I believe the earliest is from 2009 but don't quote me on that!)
There have been a few negative reviews on this book based on the fact that this is not technically 'new' work (although there are paragraphs added before every article giving a bit of insight into what is to come) but a collection. This for people who are avid followers of her column would understandably come as a bit of a disappointment  however for those who aren't as familiar (myself included) of all of her past work this book is an absolute dream!
There isn't really much I can say on this book except for you must read it! Reading Caitlin's inspires you to want to write, it makes you notice so much more of the world around you and just how crazy it really is. Although I loved 'How to be a Woman' more this book is not far behind as a sheer work of brilliance! 

Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment